INTERNATIONAL UNION OF THE HISTORY AND PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY/ DIVISION OF HISTORY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (IUHPST/DHST)
The International Union of the History and Philosophy of Science and Technology, Division of History of Science and Technology (IUHPST/DHST) invites submissions for the fourth DHST Prize for Young Scholars, to be presented in 2017. Initiated at the 22nd International Congress of History of Science in 2005 held in Beijing, the DHST Prize is awarded by the IUHPST/DHST every four years to up to five young historians of science and technology for outstanding doctoral dissertations, completed within last four years. The 2017 DHST Prize does not specify distinct categories, but submissions must be on the history of science or technology in any part of the world. The Award Committee will endeavor to maintain the broadest coverage of subjects, geographical areas, chronology and civilizations (African, American, Asian, Islamic, Western and Ancient Civilisations, and others not included in the above list). Each Prize consists of a certificate, assistance with travel and accommodation expenditures to the 25th IUHPST/DHST Congress in Rio de Janeiro in July 2017 and a waiver of registration fee. The winner of a prize whose thesis is relative to Islamic science is also awarded the Ihsanoglu Prize given by ISAR Foundation.
The Committee is comprised of the DHST President, Vice-Presidents, Secretary General, and distinguished specialists in specific fields.
- Submission deadline: 31 August 2016 (update: application still possible until September 1st, 22:00 UTC).
- Qualification examination and preliminary selection: September 2016.
- Award Committee online meeting: October-November 2016.
- Approval by DHST Council: December 2016.
- Award Ceremony: 23-29 July 2017, Rio de Janeiro.
CONDITIONS and APPLICATION
Eligibility: Applicants must have a doctoral degree in the history of science or technology awarded no earlier than July 2012.
Language: Any dissertation in a language other than English must be accompanied by a detailed summary in English of no more than 20 pages.
Applicants must submit online at http://hpdst.gr/youngscholarsprize/application.
- Fill the application form.
- Upload the dissertation in pdf format.
- For dissertations in a language other than English, upload a pdf file with a detailed summary of no more than 20 pages.
- Upload a letter of recommendation by the supervisor of the thesis.
CONTACT THE COMMITTEE
To contact the President, Dr. Efthymios Nicolaidis, please use the contact form at www.hpdst.gr/contact.